Happy Easter! Hope you’ve had a lovely day filled with chocolate, family and fun stuff.
This year for Easter I decided to make Choc Cross Scones. Sort of like hot cross buns but a scone version. Good for those who don’t particularly like spiced bread or sultanas. I personally love hot cross buns (with tons of butter) myself, but this is a fun change to the old favourite. This recipe is so simple. Best Choc Cross Scones ever!
3 cups of self-raising flour
1 cup of lemonade
1 cup of cream (and a little more to glaze the tops)
1 cup of chocolate chips (plus half a cup extra for the crosses)
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 220C
2. Sift self raising flour about 3 times (makes them lighter) and add the salt.
3. Make a well in the middle and add the lemonade, cream and chocolate chips.
4. Mix together with a knife, knead gently until smooth (try not to handle the mix too much so they stay fluffy).
5. Cut the mixture into rounds (you can cut the circles using the top of a drinking glass) and place them on a lightly greased tray or on tray lined with baking paper.
6. Brush the tops with cream (to give them that golden colour)
7. Bake for 10-12 mins at 220C or until golden
8. Melt extra chocolate chips and pipe crosses over the top of the baked scones.
So simple and super delicious!
This is what they look like in the making. These are the little chocolate scones getting ready to go into the hot oven.
Here is the after oven shot. Yum! These Choc Cross Scones are delicious and can you see how they sort of look like hot cross buns. So cute and so Easter. This is a great after Easter recipe too. When you have too many chocolate eggs leftover, you can break up your chocolate Easter eggs into pieces and use them instead of chocolate chips. You can also melt down some chocolate eggs for the chocolate on top.
Here is me wanting to eat all of the Choc Cross Scones myself but I decided it’s best to share, since its Easter and all. They are best eaten fresh out of the oven. Yum!
And here is young Max feeling a little deflated after realising the Choc Cross Scones are ready for departure and will not be shared with him today. I’ve tried to tell him that chocolate is one of those ‘not for dogs’ foods but he doesn’t want to hear it.
Hope you had a fantastic Easter!
DId you make yummy treats this Easter?
I heart Easter!